Tuesday 18 January 2022

‘SOUL SISTERS’ BY LESLEY LOKKO

 


I’ve been aware of Lesley Lokko for quite some time now. For more than a decade, I believe, ever since her first release SUNDOWNERS came my way, during the resurgence of the bonkbusters. I should probably highlight the novel on this blog since it certainly holds a place with the best of them. But before I come to do that I’ll focus on her latest, SOUL SISTERS, which is now available from Macmillan. I had the honored chance of reading an ARC graciously offered by NetGalley and the publishers and let me tell you I really, really enjoyed this one, as I thought I would.

 

Spanning decades and continents, SOUL SISTERS focuses on two pre-teens, raised as sisters (for reasons undisclosed to avoid spoilers) who, over the years, bond strongly despite their outer and inner differences. Kimmy is South African, the strong-willed daughter of jailed activist parents who eventually becomes a highly-sought after doctor; while Jen, who is from Scotland where both girls live, is mind-set on developing her talent as an artist despite her father’s reluctance and evident favoritism over Kimmy’s choice. In fact, one of the novel’s high point is its ability to show the after-effects of one’s decision over the other. Both protagonists have a fair share of the spotlight, focusing mostly on their downward spirals as they go about trying to stay afloat. The author wisely adds a third major character, a male, to stir even more the plot: envy, jealousy, backstabbing, using someone for political purposes...

 

In fact, SOULS SISTERS does center greatly around politics, more precisely on the history of apartheid. I knew little of this so it was interesting to read more about it. But rest assured, it does not hinder one bit the overall effectiveness of this family saga. Solid writing and characterization, SOUL SISTERS should do very well for its author.  

 

Until next post—Martin

 


 

 

No comments: