Tuesday 11 June 2019

‘THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA’ BY LAUREN WEISBERGER



After giving two thumbs up to WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LULUMONS last year I made the conscious decision to revisit THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (2004, Broadway Books), the novel that started it all. Yes, I could have chosen to dive into the unread sequel REVENGE WEARS PRADA instead but I figured once I re-invested myself with the first book in the series, the sequel would be a doozy to get into. Besides, I wanted to see if THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA still held up after all these years. It did. Re-reading it was like discovering it for the first time since the movie has become so iconic since its release in 2009.

Indeed, having seen the film before reading the novel I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised to find the latter as enjoyable, if not more. The journey of poor Emily, from frumpy ingénue to effective stylish worker is as exciting as anything seen on-screen. Sure, it takes a while before things really start cooking and the subplot involving the protagonist's best friend, though effective, could have been toned down. But as a whole, the novel sure captivates, due mostly to the fine pacing of the narrative. The behind-the-scene roman à clef style also works to its advantage, as does the heroine likability status. Oh yes, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA deserves all the stops, especially for those beach read types who like nothing more than to submerge themselves in the lives of the beautiful people.

Now I’m even more excited in starting its sequel. I have a hunch that the author will try her luck on a fourth Prada novel very soon. If not soon, well, in some distant future. In the meantime, do enjoy this trilogy and the other novels she has successfully written over the years. I’m happy to say that Lauren Weisberger has indeed become quite an interesting author to follow.



Until next post—Martin 

HarperCollins  edition


2 comments:

Kerry said...

I completely agree! Everyone else seems to love the movie, but I've had demanding bosses throughout my life and the boss in the book was much more demanding. I could see Meryl Stree' "acting" and didn't find her portrayal demanding at all (especially for being the Editor of THE fashion magazine). Also loved the little details in the book. They made it more into a Pretty Woman type of movie which I abhor.

Kerry said...

Completely agree! Movie was too much of girl gets job--loses friends/boyfriends-realizes the error of her ways

I think this type of job requires one to be dedicated, especially for a first career job. Do it for a couple years and move on if you don't like it--NYC is way too expensive to not bust your ass.

I also didn't think Meryl Streep's boss was not that demanding compared to the book. I also could see her "acting."