Sunday 4 November 2018

‘A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING’ BY ELIZABETH GAGE



A strange thing happened on the way to our well-deserved vacation.  After completing the 42.2K Marathon in Montreal and heading the same day to the Tropics I suddenly had the urge to read a ‘80s book.  Not the kind of simple urge one gets when the itch beckons, but like a desperate now-or-never need to appease my craving. It didn’t matter which book, just as long as it was of the rich and the rotten and riveting as fuck. In came a hardcover copy of Elizabeth Gage’s A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING (1988, Simon & Schuster) from the ship’s library. It was sleeveless, heavy, and it had spots of sunscreen oil on its red stiff material but it barely mattered, for I had found my savior. From that moment on I didn’t care where we were or how many unread current titles were waiting to catch my eyes on my Kindle. This was the book that I was going to read—or re-read since we did cross paths in 1990—for the next 14 days.  
 

The things that A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING did to me on that trip, I will forever be grateful. I kid you not on this. I was stuck in a rut reading wise. I had spent the last few months wondering where my reading choices were heading, since I felt like nothing really stroke my fancy anymore. After all these years of reading and reviewing maybe it was time to finally throw in the towel and move on. I wanted to reconnect with this passion of mine but didn’t know if I still could since everything was all becoming so bland and uninspiring. It took exactly 10 pages of A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING to cure this itch of mine.  

Every day like clockwork, in between visiting islands, going to the gym, and eating fine cuisine, my nose was stuck in that book, revelling in the tumultuous lives of these two glorious but so different women. In a Hollywood setting that starts in the 1947 and ends in 1974 during the Academy Awards ceremony, readers who dig Jackie Collins but with an edge will definitely have their fill of sexually-charged situations and nail-biting plot twists. They may even come to care about either leads or some other secondary characters. It’s a long book, over 700 pages and not once did I feel the story dragging. Indeed, what a fun and remarkable piece of pop culture art that novel is. Not only did it turn out to be exactly what the doctor ordered, it also made me realize how much in the zone I still was regarding sleaze. And it only took the right novel for me to figure that out. And not any novel, mind you, but one that delivers the goods with its impressive narrative, well rounded characterization and an extra shot of intellect. 

I dare anyone who loves a good trashy book not to get caught up in the swirls of her two main characters. If the reader is not too prude, that is, because it is very bold in its description sometimes. I’m telling you, if you want to tackle a strong and clever, and sometimes moving, story of sins and redemptions, give A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING a try. I’m sure you’ll be impressed as I am. Now, how the twenty-something gay dude that I was could be able to catch all these notable traits the first time around I read this book, I’ll never know. But one thing’s for sure, I’m so glad I revisited it and had the chance to praise it yet again. And in exchange get this second wind so desperately needed. Isn’t life a trip?!





Until next post—Martin  

4 comments:

Kurt said...

I really liked this one too. I was introduced to it from this blog. I still have Pandora's Box and The Master Stroke to get to. They're on my shelf waiting.

Authorfan said...

You'll enjoy them as well, Kurt, especially Pandora's Box. Heck, all of Gage's novels are worth reading. Enjoy, and thanks for re-visiting.

Night Owl said...

Funny I read this for the first time on a vacation to Florida, it was out in paperback then. I have read so many of the things on your blog it is like walking down memory lane. I just reread The Boys In The Mailroom recently. One of my favorite juicy books is Flavor Of The Month by Olivia Goldsmith, shame she died relatively young, I think she still had a few books left in her.

Authorfan said...

Three great titles I could read over and over again. Welcome aboard.