Saturday, 19 September 2026

CHASING 'FOXES': LONELINESS, MOVIE MAGAZINES, AND JODIE FOSTER


I always tell people that I discovered Jodie Foster long before she became a household name. While I can't pin down the exact moment I became a fan, I vividly remember spending my early teenage years captivated by her work. I felt a deep, almost instinctual kinship with her in films like The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, Echoes of a Summer, and even the wonderfully wacky Freaky Friday. There was an underlying quality to her performances that resonated with me on a personal level—a quiet, private connection that lasted for years.

Before reaching a turning point in my fandom, I remember the pure thrill of anticipation when Foxes was set to hit theaters. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, eagerly tracking its release for months through the pages of my movie magazines. Seeing her step into that role was electric; she anchored the story with a raw maturity that proved she was rapidly evolving beyond childhood stardom.
Looking back, it was Foxes that truly defined that chapter of my youth. The film’s world mirrored my own; its gritty, neon-drenched streets and the pulsing, bittersweet rhythm of Donna Summer's "On the Radio" felt entirely intertwined with my isolated world, providing a warm, electric escape from the grey, rain-slicked pavement of Montreal. As someone who spent so much time alone, that raw, unvarnished portrait of an unravelling youth completely captivated me, cementing the film as a definitive favorite during a time when my own world felt heavy.
That long-standing bond lasted right up until The Accused. By then, I had finally taken down my Foxes marquee poster—the one featuring Scott Baio that had anchored my bedroom wall for years. The Accused changed everything. Watching her meteoric rise transform her into a global icon, I realized her immense talent was no longer my well-kept secret. She belonged to the world now, and it was time to gracefully let her go.

Until next post—Martin




No comments: