Tuesday 16 June 2020

‘A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE’ BY BARBARA TAYLOR BRADFORD




Barbara Taylor Bradford’s iconic first novel A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE has always been part of my life. At least I always felt like it was. I can’t be exactly sure when I did become aware of it but I’m almost positive it was during part of a conversation I had had with a fellow book lover of mine. If not, well, it must surely have been during one of my many book hunts which, as you can imagine, have happened a lot in my lifetime. One thing I can easily say is that I have had the novel in my possession for quite a while now and only recently did I take the plunge and read it—to my pure delight, as it turns out.

You sure are in for a long haul if you tackle this book for the very first time, since A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE is more than 900 pages long. That is, if we’re focusing on the same 2005 St. Martins’ paperback extended edition which graciously harbours a place on my busy book shelf, as do the original 1979 paperback novel from Avon Books and the tie-in paperback edition from the same publishers. 

As you judiciously read along you’ll come across many detailed descriptions of beautiful things. Miss Bradford seems to revel in them and I don’t blame her since her depiction of, say, a room, a person, a scenery, is as thrilling and as invigorating as the story itself. Well, at least it is to little moi. And in truth, I can’t imagine the book being any other way. It’s part of its DNA. If exactly not, at least a part of the author’s work ethic.  

When the plot does move along, you are to embark in a story of love, courage, acceptance but betrayal as well, for Emma Harte, the central character, suffers ever-so greatly in her attempt to assert herself in a man’s world. I should also tell you that the story starts in the early 19oos during which she is a simple servant to a wealthy family in Yorkshire, England, to the late-1960s where she finally ends up becoming a rich and powerful woman. During her rags to riches ascent she will face many hardships, some that will almost kill her. But with her strong sense of will and backbone (and style) she will find a way to persevere and eventually get to the finish line. And during that time you, the reader, will be turning the pages as quickly as possible in order to follow her tumultuous journey, one that will undoubtedly leave traces in your psyche since you’ll remember this flawed heroine for a very long time.  

I’m so thrilled to have finally focused on A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE. And there are many sequels waiting for me along the way. Six of them, I believe. I can’t wait to get my hands on every one of them then watch on my flat screen TV the three adapted miniseries based on the first three books. I mean it, this one’s a keeper. Especially, if you’re the type who adores long-winded stories of strong-willed women and the challenges they face for being who they were really meant to be. 




Until next post—Martin


US Digital Edition
UK Digital Edition

1 comment:

Scooter said...

I loved the mini series with Jenny Seagrove and Deborah Kerr. Might look to see if the title is available on Kindle.